In 1610, Ieyasu Tokugawa began construction of Nagoya Castle as a castle residence for his son Yoshinao. It was lost to flames during WWII, but the large donjon (approx. 48 m) with golden "shachi" ornaments adorning its roof and the small donjon (approx. 24 m) were rebuilt in 1959. In the large, five-story donjon, sliding door murals which are an important cultural property and historical information are displayed; and on the third to fifth floors, you can see a full-scale replica of a golden shachi ornament, experience the pulling of stones used in the castle's construction as well as riding in a palanquin, and come to know the sights and sounds of life within the castle and the castle town. Anyone can enjoy themselves as they learn the history of Nagoya Castle and the city it resides in.
The Nagoya Omotenashi Bushotai, a performance group of the famous military figures of Nagoya which served as the model for other such popular groups around Japan, greets visitors at the castle gate every day. They also hold their "omotenashi", or "entertainment" performances on Saturdays, Sundays, and national holidays.
Opening its entrance and posterior Omote Shoin study to the public in May 2013, the reconstruction of the Hommaru Palace currently continues to move forward. The remaining sections are all set to be completed on June 8, 2018.
Special Hommaru Palace site: https://www.nagoya-info.jp/en/hommaru/
Information on suspension (closing) of admission to the Nagoya Castle donjons:
Nagoya Castle's donjons will be suspending admission to them (closing down) from May 7, 2018 (Mon) due to inspections of and reconstruction to their wooden structures. However, excluding the donjons, admission to Nagoya Castle will continue as normal during the period of suspension.
Period: May 7, 2018 (Mon) to the completion of the donjons' wooden structures
Area: Nagoya Castle donjons (small/large donjon)
|Area||Nagoya Castle / Tokugawa|
|Address||1-1 Hommaru, Naka-ku, Nagoya|
|Accsess Method||●Just next to the Me~guru Nagoya Sightseeing Route Bus "④ Nagoya Castle" Bus Stop|
●5-minute walk from Exit 7 of Shiyakusho Station on the Meijo subway line
|TEL||+81-52-231-1700 (Inquiries in English possible)|
|FAX||+81-52-201-3646 (Inquiries in English possible)|
|Opening Hours||9:00 AM–4:30 PM (Admission to buildings until 4:00 PM)|
*Closing time is extended to 5:30 PM until August 31, 2018.
(Admission to buildings until 5:00 PM)
|Fares||Adults: 500 yen |
*Junior high school students and younger: free
|Parking||442 spaces available for standard vehicle parking|
28 spaces available for bus parking
- Atsuta Shrine
- Nagoya Castle
- The Tokugawa Art Museum & Tokugawaen
- Nagoya Science Museum
- Higashiyama Zoo and Botanical Gardens
- Port of Nagoya Public Aquarium
- SCMAGLEV and Railway Park
- LEGOLAND® Japan
- Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology
- Noritake Garden
- Nagoya TV Tower *closed
- Oasis 21
- Osu Shopping district & Osu Kannon Temple
- Shirotori Garden