Nagoya Toshogu Shrine was established by Tokugawa Yoshinao, the founder of the Nagoya Domain, in the 5th year of the Gen'wa era (1619), enshrining Tokugawa Ieyasu, the founding shogun of the Tokugawa Shogunate, within Nagoya Castle. In the 8th year of the Meiji era (1875), the shrine was relocated to its current location. However, it was tragically destroyed by the bombings during World War II in the 20th year of the Showa era (1945). The current main hall of the shrine is a reconstruction, originally being the memorial hall (otamaya) of Tadayori, the lawful wife of Yoshinao. This structure was moved from Wanchosan Temple to Kenchuji Temple in the 3rd year of the Taisho era (1914) and then transferred to the present site in the 29th year of the Showa era (1954). It is now designated as an Important Cultural Property of Aichi Prefecture.
Before the war, the Toshogu Festival used to feature float processions and was considered part of the Nagoya Festival. Unfortunately, due to wartime destruction, the Toshogu Shrine and its associated festival were lost. However, the legacy of the Nagoya Festival now continues with the Goshu Eijin Parade, which honors local historical figures.
Nagoya City, 2-3-37 Marunouchi, Naka-ku
|Sakae / Fushimi